Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Chili con Caryn

One of my favorite blogs is Caryn's Delicious! Delicious! cooking site. She is so creative and clever and a fantastic cook. She is also a much better photographer than I am. Tonight I tried to make her Spicy Vegetarian Chili -- I did not have oregano (who doesn't have oregano? I opened my empty spice container three times to make sure I really didn't have it) or the chipotle peppers, so I threw in chili powder as she suggested. I also got a little distracted opening all of the cans and left my garlic and onions on the heat a bit too long, so I wound up throwing one entire undrained can of black beans in to stop it from burning. The rest of the recipe went pretty much according to plan. I can't recommend this chili enough -- it is delicious and very forgiving, which is just the kind of recipe a girl like me is always looking for.

I also made cornbread from the Epicurious site. It was very fast to mix together and incredible with the honey butter. Keep in mind that this is not sweet cornbread -- the butter sweetens it up but on its own it is very plain. This was what I had in mind, but be sure to read through the reviews if you want to punch it up a little.

I love recipes like these because they are so quick to make, delicious to eat, and easily interruptable in case your baby is crying and pulls you away for a little while. Lord help us with getting her to learn how to sleep -- it may b e the end of our sanity, but at least we're eating well on the way.

2 Comments:

At 8/02/2005 9:31 PM, Blogger Rambling Rose Cottage said...

That recipe does look delicious. I wonder what kind of chili powder is used. I really like the New Mexico chili powder.

 
At 8/02/2005 9:49 PM, Blogger Laura GF said...

I just threw in some from McCormick. The only thing I'd change about the recipe is to add a little salt. I think the peppers Caryn used might have enhanced flavors, but I needed a little salt in mine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home