Saturday, August 13, 2005

Cucumber and Tomato Salad

Today I tried to recreate a salad that my husband remembered from his youth. It involved cucumbers, tomatoes and an Italian dressing, which all sounded simple enough. And our kitchen was full of cucumbers and tomatoes that had to be used or else I would face the dreaded moment when you realize that all of those vegetables you were going to use? Are now withering away in a sad heap of mold and regret.

So. I sliced two giant cucumbers very thinly (I love the way that they look when they are cut as thin as I can make them, so the sun can shine through. I think it's beautiful.) and then sliced the rest of the cherry and grape tomatoes in quarters (I think it was about two or three cups once sliced). I added about half a cup of chopped red onion and then made the balsamic olive oil dressing from this site. I used about two thirds of the dressing on the salad and put the rest in the refrigerator for another salad. And voila:

I let it rest in the refrigerator for nine hours before eating, but I'm not sure if that made a difference or not. When we ate it, we added our own additional salt to each serving to taste. We thought this salad was delicious and very summery and you really enjoy the tastes of the vegetables in it. Plus, it's a great way to use up all that produce! Let me know if you try it.

4 Comments:

At 8/13/2005 11:01 PM, Blogger celeste said...

looks so yum! thanks for the links,...oh, when I looked at the links for the finger puppets,I was seriously confused!:) But I hope to learn to decipher them eventually...learning to sew/cross-stitch is one of my goals.

 
At 8/15/2005 1:15 AM, Blogger Suzy0928 said...

Looks absolutely delish!! I'm going to have to try this one! =)

http://miss_suzy.typepad.com/my_weblog/

 
At 8/17/2005 12:08 AM, Anonymous sarcastic journalist said...

you're making me very hungry! don't you know i'm supposed to be eating junk, not wanting things like "salad?"

 
At 8/20/2005 6:04 PM, Anonymous lu said...

Oh, this is a favorite of mine as well! However, I remember it tossed in a creamier dressing--something like a Ranch. I will definitely try variation. Yum.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home