Monday, August 29, 2005

Family Time

We spent the past weekend in New York with my family. I've got so many siblings, cousins, etc. in the area and a three hour drive to get to them, which means I try to pack as much into the weekend as possible. Which also means that my poor daughter and husband wind up a little stressed out from the whirlwind that ensues. As hard as I try to cram everything in, I add social pressure and knock out naps and family sanity. By the time we got back last night we were all ready to crash into bed to try to recover.

This weekend was particularly crazy since my family is trying to come to terms with some staggering pieces of news. I am certain that somehow, some way my family is going to one day be reading this blog. That is just the nature of these things. And so without going into too much detail I will say that the current drama relates to the unexpected loss of one pregancy and the unexpected arrival of another child. In this case, Unexpected = Life Changing and Heartbreaking.

There is nothing that anyone in my family can do to change the basic facts of these situations, and so there is a flurry of activity and effort in each case about what we can do to help the siblings involved, determine on our own how involved we want to be, how to talk about it to the people involved and each other. And the thing is, there are no easy answers and no end in sight for any of us involved. Both people immediately involved will be wrangling with the fallout of these times in one way or another for the rest of their lives.

I know that all of this is vague but I guess the point is this: it's difficult to tell whether the harder part of family is the physical effort of being with them or the mental attempt to adapt and react to the facts of their lives. Right now I am feeling the effects of both sides wearing me out.

2 Comments:

At 8/30/2005 8:31 PM, Blogger celeste said...

The cool part is...your whole first paragraph explains the effort you're willing to put into an exhausting weekend trip just to see the people you love and want to feel closer to. That alone shows that you'll get past the stress, though you're feeling drained now, and you'll find the strength to help family members pull through as well.

 
At 9/05/2005 7:19 PM, Blogger panthergirl said...

Ah, you're from New York? No wonder I like you... ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home