Thursday, August 04, 2005

Focusing

So. Clearly I am new to blogging. I am still trying to find my way and find my focus, and so I feel like posting on all kinds of topics. Do I need to focus? After all, how many people are even reading this now? Navel gazing, electronic or otherwise, feels self indulgent and I don't feel like being completely self indulgent even at the best (or worst of times).

One thing that's been running around in my head today is how I can focus on Baby news or wha I ate for dinner when there are so many other things far more worthy of attention in this world. Like the extreme poverty and starvation in Niger (see here for more information and here for organizations that are helping). Or the fact that many women in the world face such desperate and crushing inequality -- it makes me so glad to be raising my daughter here, but my heart breaks for women struggling with these situations and wish there was more I could do to help them. The problem is I feel helpless in the face of such large problems -- I can donate a little money or write about them here, but does it make a difference?

So that's what's on my mind tonight -- whether it makes a difference whether I blog about large problems that the whole world needs to focus on or tiny ones that really only affect my little family. Any thoughts?

2 Comments:

At 8/05/2005 8:56 AM, Blogger Finn said...

Blog about whatever you feel like talking about. This doesn't have to be about one thing or the other; it's for you, about you and by you. After a while you'll find your voice. Experiment and just have fun. No one's grading you!

Hi - Michele sent me today! Good luck! ;)

 
At 8/06/2005 4:28 PM, Blogger celeste said...

I am very concerned with issues of women's inequality as well, but I worry a lot about the subtle inequalities that are present even in our American society ("gentlemen's" clubs, Hooters, etc, etc) And I can't wait to vote for a woman president.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home