Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Human Clock

I love the Human Clock -- as the site describes, it "shows a photograph of the current time, with the photo changing every minute of the day (all 1,440 occuring minutes on Earth!) Thus you end up with a rotating picture clock sorta deal." You've got to see it to believe it. I like keeping it up in a tab in Firefox all day. I know that it's quicker to just look in the task bar or at a clock on the wall to see what time it is, but there's something about seeing time in ways that are unusual and rarely what I'd expect that makes this site useful and also fun. People contribute photos from around the world, and the collaborative nature of the clock intrigues and charms me. Plus I like it that Craig Giffen has created this clock in his own spare time just for the sake of doing it, rather than for profit.

This has been a day when my head has been spinning with the craziness in the world around me. Cindy Sheehan, a woman brokenhearted over the death of her son, tries to get the president's attention to no avail. Her determination and focus show no sign of flagging, and the anger and cruelty of her critics is breathtaking. There is a stampede in Richmond for cheap used iBooks, where people were trampled, sent to the hospital, where one man felt justified in swinging a chair to strike people who were trying to cut in line and another simply tried to drive his car through the crowd. In the Gaza Strip people are being forcibly removed from their homes, a woman set herself ablaze in protest and one settler took a security guard's gun and proceeded to kill several people. I find myself staring in wonder at my computer screen as I read the news. I realize I am unable to fully understand the motives of the people involved... but it seems to me that some of the attitudes and approaches I see in these stories point to why this world can be so difficult at times. I don't want to critique the choices of a person or group of people whose lives I know I can't fully know or appreciate. I do feel very comfortable when I say that I doubt life has to be this difficult.

The Human Clock puts a different face on the world. Every minute I see the efforts of a person or group of people who want to add to this free service in their own creative and individual way. It shows people having fun, contributing unselfishly and expecting nothing in return. I feel connected temporarily to people around the world, working toward a common goal. It shows new ways to look at the world around me, and there are days like today when I really need that.

11 Comments:

At 8/17/2005 11:57 PM, Blogger celeste said...

Hi, Laura. I've made a habit of reading your blog because I feel I can relate very personally to a lot of what you write. Your writing reads with sincerity. Reading your posts helps me feel like I'm not alone in my concerns, awareness, and growing intrigue with this world. I am in total agreement when you say,"...I doubt life has to be this difficult." I have to believe that we were created for so much more. ...Just reminded myself of the song, Meant to Live, by Switchfoot. Cut and paste here to see lyrics: http://www.lyrics007.com/Switchfoot%20Lyrics/Meant%20to%20Live%20Lyrics.html

 
At 8/17/2005 11:58 PM, Blogger celeste said...

argh...sorry. if you highlight the link you can see it in full. :P

 
At 8/18/2005 12:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Democrats Still Have No One to Face DeWine
Got a scoop? Email your tips and suggestions to the editor. Premium Blog Ad Blog Ads Classifieds Amazon About The Site Taegan D. Goddard is the creator of Political Wire, a political column updated around the ...
I will show you my super cash flow secrets for free!

fast cash

 
At 8/18/2005 12:10 AM, Blogger Jordi said...

very good blog...

 
At 8/18/2005 2:22 AM, Blogger Aussie Shiraz said...

Hi Laura, I visited the human clock site and I can see why you love it....It's fantastic...

 
At 8/18/2005 10:51 AM, Blogger nobody said...

Hey, that human clock is cool! Uh oh... You've got me addicted to it!!

Michele sent me :)

 
At 8/18/2005 11:11 AM, Blogger Janet said...

I love the idea of the human clock, thanks!

Also...I have to say that I'm very glad I don't live in VA anymore LOL!

 
At 8/18/2005 11:15 PM, Blogger zazzafooky said...

Awesome link! I love great ideas like this one.

 
At 8/19/2005 4:19 AM, Blogger War Eagle said...

very clever site.

BTW: u havent been tagged by the blog spammers yet. u might consider turning the word vertification on before they hit u.

 
At 8/19/2005 3:38 PM, Blogger War Eagle said...

I really like the human clock now. It made my link list. So did ur site. :)

 
At 8/23/2005 12:16 PM, Blogger Cin said...

Hi Laura, love the human clock idea - so much more humanizing!

Michele sent me, and I'm glad she did!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home