Thursday, August 11, 2005

The Procrastination Game

I made this counted cross stitch for my niece in 2002. I started it right before she was born in October of that year, vowing to send it out before the new year. Well, that new year came and went, and while I did finish it in 2003 I didn't frame it until 2004, when I was going to visit my brother and his family in Japan for the first time. Keep in mind that this was not the first time I was meeting my niece. It was just that by that point the procrastination seemed ridiculous and I had to get it done.

It's hard to disappoint people -- right now I'm sitting on a video I made for this same brother at Christmas time, vowing to get it out to him in the first weeks of January again. Maybe that's the problem and I need to avoid making promises that involve the first month of the year. In fact, I wouldn't even feel bad about it except that someone in my family spilled it to him that the video had been made, and now he is expecting it. My new goal is to get it to him before Christmas of this year.

What is it about putting things off that appeals to me so much? Besides the obvious, which is that I don't have to do any actual work now? Is it a fear of failure that can be avoided altogether if I don't actually complete the task? Is it that I secretly enjoy the task that should be at hand and don't want it to be over? I don't really know -- it's probably a bit of all of these. I try hard to avoid procrastination, but it seems that there is always that one thing that hangs over my head.

1 Comments:

At 8/12/2005 2:01 PM, Blogger celeste said...

Who doesn't procrastinate, right? At least I'd like to think that's true. I am still procrastinating on recording some drum tracks for a demo CD of my church band...and you hit the nail on the head when you said it's a fear of failure. Something about recording makes it seem so permanent...and what if it sucks?! I would feel like there's no going back... well, I think a lot of us can relate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home