Sunday, August 07, 2005

Puppets

I made these puppets for Baby over the winter, before she was born. They're just crocheted out of little bits of leftover yarn and very quick to do. I did the two sets for her and her cousin in just a day, and I am not all that speedy with a hook.

This dog was made from instructions on this site, and is one of my favorites.


The instructions for the mouse are here -- there's a tail that curls around that is missing from this photo.

The rabbit was made from these directions. It turned out to be tough to embroider the features on in any kind of decent way. Not just for the rabbit, for all of these. Maybe there's a technique I was missing, or maybe other people are generally more artistic and skilled and fabulous. Well, artistic and skilled, anyway.

Directions for the elephant can be found here. If you think these animals are a little wonky, wait until you see the frog.

See? If I had not told you it was a frog, would you be thinking "Green ET" right now? Yes, these are some wacky looking puppets, but I figured the baby wouldn't really mind at first, and when she got old enough to know that frogs don't really look anything like that, she would be hopelessly attached to her beloved finger puppets and not even care. Something like that. Directions are here for the frog. You will see that even if it looks crazy, it is not all that different from the pattern.

The only problem I have now is that Baby wants to eat them. And the books tell me she is not supposed to eat yarn, so for now I hold them up from time to time when she is shrieking in the car and hope the wonky frog captivates her until the next rest stop.

3 Comments:

At 8/07/2005 10:21 PM, Blogger celeste said...

...:) That is the cutest frog...thanks for sharing the "how-to" links, because I will be checking those out. My husband and I are thinking of starting a family...hopefully soon.

 
At 8/07/2005 11:07 PM, Blogger Laura GF said...

They sure are funny puppets :) I'm glad you liked them -- let me know if you make any!

 
At 8/12/2005 11:41 AM, Anonymous Pearl said...

Froggie's my fav. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home