Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Sweet Sleep

Husband and I have been trying to find a way to help Baby go to sleep on her own (without needing to be rocked, nursed, and walked to sleep) -- with the caveat that no tears be involved. I realize this elicits hearty bellows of laughter from the CIO crowd, but I am a softy and it breaks my heart to think of her crying. Yes, I realize this is probably more my issue than hers. No, I don't care.

We've been stuck in a rut with Pantley's No Cry Sleep Solution -- Baby was going to bed earlier than before and we had a much better understanding of her sleep needs, etc. However, it was taking us three hours from the start of her bedtime routine to the end, when she fell asleep. Exhausting and ridiculous.

So we decided to jump out of the rut and allow fussing, though still not out and out crying. After just a couple of nights (with no tears, just some annoyance on her part) the bedtime routine is down to one hour. We can put her in the bed awake and she falls asleep on her own. We are, of course, frustrated with our own stupidity as parents. It hearkens back to the days when Baby would fall asleep and we would imagine she was through eating -- then wonder why she woke up so mad later. It turned out we needed to feed her from a bottle for that last feeding, as she was so tired that she'd fall asleep before she was through -- and it took us a long time to figure that out. It's hard when no one will tell you in clear terms what your baby needs. I know they are all different, but still.

Good luck to all of the other new parents out there. When things get frustrating, it helps to think of how many other people out there are going through the same kinds of things at the same time you are.

1 Comments:

At 8/05/2005 9:01 AM, Blogger Finn said...

What I discovered is that you need to try out different things and find out what works for you. As time goes on, you will know your baby, and it will get a bit easier.

I kind of ran on my own instincts, but I've never been someone that seeks too much advice. I say toss out those books and talk to some real parents for solutions. Some follow the letter of one method or another, others none at all, but they'll all give you things you can try and modify to suit your life.

Remember, Baby should be made to fit into your lifestyle; your life shouldn't be completely upended to fit into Baby's. Seriously, you'll be much happier if you keep that in mind.

Good luck and enjoy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home