Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Unsolicited Advice vs. Helpful Information

Today I received a surprising amount of helpful offers. Generous strangers showed up anonymously to sell me books and contact lenses, advising me how to increase traffic to my site and find games online. This has nothing to do with you, my dear and real commenters, and I encourage you to comment as often and about whatever you would like. The more the merrier... up to a point.

That point would be where spammers enter the picture. I have no idea how they found me already -- it hasn't even been a month yet that this blog has been up and running. How they manage to leave comments is bewildering, too. They can't run around to each actual blog and paste in their comments, right? But this afternoon they came in a flood and I had to activate the authentication code that will now show up in the comment page from now on. I'm sorry if this turns out to be an annoyance and I hope it won't stop those of you who comment on this site from continuing to do so.

Let me know if you have any other ideas how stop spammers. I welcome any advice that you have!

5 Comments:

At 8/25/2005 1:15 AM, Blogger buffi said...

They are called "spambots" and I'm not sure how they work, but they can drive you crazy! Have you looked at haloscan? I haven't had any trouble with it (yet). It's pretty easy to install. Be warned though, that if you use the auto-install, you will lose all of your previous blogger comments. I'd be happy to help if you need it. sugarmommymail [at] gmail [dot] com.

Oh, and Hi! Michele sent me!

 
At 8/25/2005 3:22 PM, Blogger Superhero Bob said...

they got my brother the other day too. one blog out there, Cpt. Picard's Journal, he just did something that eliminates spammers and still allows 'anonymous' comments...but I don't know exactly what. I haven't learned that part yet!

 
At 8/25/2005 4:21 PM, Blogger srp said...

Thanks for visiting my site.
My daughter is now grown.
I read your entry about your baby group. I was worried as you about how to make sure Nyssa developed to her potential. I only did a few things.
I read to her every day, starting day one and we did the library books starting at age two. I limited the TV. There isn't much on worthwhile anyway. I gave her things to stimulate her imagination. Like you I like to sew and I made her a dress up box when she was four. We had all sorts of hats, grandma's shoes, wigs, and the things I sewed for her. That was the best gift I ever gave her. She and her friends pretended and made up stories and acted them out for years with that box. Much of the video game diet can really inhibit the imagination. She had a handheld one for a while but it could not stand up to the joy she got from her own imaginative play and the world of books.

Oh, I'm going to check out that craft site. It looks like fun.

 
At 8/25/2005 9:48 PM, Blogger dena said...

I haven't been hit yet, but I have seen some spam comments in friends' blogs.
Good luck with getting it figured out.

 
At 1/12/2011 11:15 PM, Anonymous mike said...

i can say internet isnt a good place for asking advice,ask your friends and acquitances.sorry i am not spammer its hard for any one to stop spammer as internet users are growing in millions every day

 

Post a Comment

<< Home