Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Yellow Jackets

As I've mentioned briefly before, I am terrified of bees. I try to be reasonable about it, though it might not look that way to others around me should I spot an actual bee. I truly do admire honeybees and enjoy reading about them, but any stinging insect that comes near me freaks me right out and I feel powerless against the fear that floods me. Sure, to you it might look like a housefly, but if it came near my face and I was caught off guard I might flip out on the spot.

With this in mind, imagine how thrilled I was when my husband told me that we have a yellow jacket problem. These wasps are among the most aggressive of all and can be very protective of their nest. As luck would have it, this nest was located right outside our garage and not a day before this discovery I had walked right past it with the baby. Eek. These yellow jackets were now all over the outside of the garage and the nest was just getting bigger almost before our eyes. His eyes, really, because there was no way I was leaving the house with these banded menaces lurking outside. I think he was just terrifying me further when he headed out with the camera and returned with photos of the wasps and their nest. For you, I include one of them here.

My husband had read Julia's post about declaring bee-had and after uttering a declaration himself he headed out to wage war on our own specimens. He sprayed them thoroughly with poison (no I am not happy about spraying poison and not crafting a wee homemade trap that would be nonintrusive and nondamaging to the environment. However. That is all fine and good for ants but these were YELLOW JACKETS and there was no way I was going to be able to handle anything outside without assurances of their utter destruction. Yes, I know this is bad and I should just get a grip. No, it does not look like that is going to happen anytime soon.) and today all that remains are their tiny corpses. I am sorry they had to meet such a swift and unpleasant end, but for the love of mike -- yellow jackets here at my very own house. It was just too much to bear. Thank god I had that dear husband of mine around or otherwise I probably would have just moved.

9 Comments:

At 8/31/2005 4:18 AM, Blogger Yaeli said...

Hi there!
Apparently spraying shaving cream on wasps nests smothers them and, from what I hear, works just as well as poison. What you need is some kind of Wasp Deterrent, along the lines of shark repellant or similar, to keep them away from your house. :o) Better get inventing!

Michele sent me.

I hope the wasps steer clear of your abode from now on!

 
At 8/31/2005 5:44 PM, Blogger mommy d said...

Wasps! How awful. I am glad they are gone and dead. We have a fly problem around here and I thought that was bad. If wasps ever came near my children I would freak out!

 
At 9/01/2005 6:56 AM, Anonymous moonbatty said...

Eek, I hate wasps. Especially yellow jackets. They're aggressive creatures. Where honeybees or bumblebees won't bother you if you don't move, wasps don't mind attacking without provocation.

I'm glad your husband got rid of them!

Hi, Michele sent me. :)

 
At 9/01/2005 8:20 AM, Blogger yellojkt said...

Sorry about the yellow jackets. My nom de web is for the college not the insects. I kill the insects whenever they try to infect my house too.

 
At 9/01/2005 10:19 AM, Blogger markus said...

i hate bees! i am allergic and if i get stung it's not pretty...

michelle sent me!

 
At 9/01/2005 10:46 AM, Blogger Janet said...

Oh, I'm with you! Even looking at the picture scared me *shudder*. My cousin's husband tried to encourage me to get a close up of a bumblebee inside a flower last weekend...and I just couldn't do it!
Oh and Hi, Michele sent me!

 
At 9/01/2005 11:29 AM, Blogger utenzi said...

Hello Laura, Michele sent me.

I've had troubles with hornets also. I did a blog on it a few weeks ago:

http://utenzi.blogspot.com/2005/08/joys-of-home-ownership.html

I hope you're able to persevere against those nasty bugs.

 
At 9/01/2005 3:14 PM, Blogger Superhero Bob said...

yellow jackets are nasty. I was dive bombed once. I've never moved so fast in my life and came out with only three stings.

 
At 9/01/2005 3:58 PM, Blogger Carl V. said...

Kudos to your hubby for taking them out with extreme prejudice!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home