Saturday, September 17, 2005

Bumps, Scratches and Scrapes

So far, Gretel has not tumbled from any beds, couches, or chairs. We haven't left her behind by mistake, allowed her to poke herself in the eye with a pen, or given her peanut butter and strawberry jam causing her to choke or blossom into an allergy riddled mess to be reckoned with. Though I often have nightmares involving dropping her or nearly dropping her, so far that hasn't happened yet either.

At the same time, I am not so blind as to think that this is due to my incredible parenting. Any of the above things can happen to even the most fantastic, attentive parents and I realize that it is just a matter of time before something happens to the girl that I will immediately wish I could take back, something that I know without a doubt that I could have prevented. I'm grateful that whatever this mishap may be at least she's getting bigger, tougher, stronger every day and so she'll be better able to endure whatever oversight I may have committed.

Julie is hosting a great confessional in her comments on this entry -- taking a look over there makes me realize that a) bad parenting moments are just par for the course -- I've had plenty of tough times, they just haven't resulted in physical harm. And also b) whatever happens to Gretel, I am sure that it could be worse. At least all of the things that happened to the parents at Julie's site won't happen to her, and all of those babies made it through fine. I need to remember this feeling of being in it together with so many others who are just doing the best they can.

3 Comments:

At 9/17/2005 10:03 PM, Blogger Mike said...

It doesn't matter how hard you try and prevent it kids are going to get bumps and bruises. All you can do is be there to help them and comfort them when they need you. Michele sent me.

 
At 9/18/2005 5:32 PM, Blogger JustLinda said...

Sometimes I ease my worry by thinking to "the good ol' days" - you know, when no one wore seatbelts and babies traveled in their mother's arm and solid foods were started at 8 weeks and it was "hip" for mom and dad to smoke, even in the house with the kids right there, and there were no such things as designated drivers and soooo much more.

And I know most of us survived THAT and so I'm hopeful (and ever vigilant about those dangers we try to control for today) that my kids will fare MUCH better.

Fortunately, doing our best is almost always good enough. The odds are with us...

(thanks for stopping by my blog!)

 
At 9/18/2005 6:14 PM, Anonymous chatty said...

Even the *model* parents have their days and the kidlets get bumps, scratches and boo boos. Just go with the flow!

Michele sent me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home