Wednesday, September 14, 2005

End of the Day

While we are committed to raising our daughter together in a spirit of cooperation and all hands pitched in for any task and whatnot, my husband and I each have baby related tasks that we don't particularly enjoy. For Joe, it's bathtime. He hates dealing wtih a slippery squirming baby, warm soapy water, and hard surfaces everywhere for the girl to knock into. I, on the other hand, have no problem with bathtime. In, out, you know what you have to do to complete the task.

No, what I hate is bedtime. Even though Gretel is doing much better at going to bed sleepy but awake and is sleeping through the night reliably, I think I have some residual dread from the early days. She used to be so difficult and I still cringe from the entire process. Joe, on the other hand, is a pro and handles this task with an ease that I cannot imagine. She falls asleep easily and comfortably with him (perhaps in part because he doesn't have all of this tension about it) and I wind up simultaneously jealous and appreciative that he handles this task every night.

Tonight Joe is out of town and the task falls to me. Since I've also been working with the girl on naptime and taking naps on her own in her crib all day every day for the past week and a half it is starting to feel like the sole purpose of my life is to convince another person that she is sleepy and that she can fall asleep on her own. Things are getting better, but how is it that the effort of getting her to bed wears me out so much? By the time she falls asleep, I am ready to collapse in bed right next to her! On most thing we both try to pitch in but on this I'm glad Joe is coming back tomorrow and we can fall back into our natural order of things. Even writing about getting Gretel to sleep about wears me out.

1 Comments:

At 9/19/2005 2:13 AM, Blogger Future Daddy said...

Great post! Also gives wonderful insight on what to expect in the upcoming months. I'm going to meme it on my blog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home