Sunday, September 25, 2005

Fall Weekends

I love it that fall is finally here again. We bought the first of many paper sacks of apples, a gallon of cider and a block of cheddar and settled in for the weekend. Fall marks the return to comfort cooking, where you can cook up stews and soups and apple pies and not worry too much about what's going to happen to your shape because hell, you're just going to throw a sweater on anyway. And this was a perfect weekend for sweater wearing -- a little chilly but not cold, and certainly not enough to take away any hope of a warm day still coming along once in a while.

Somehow, too, with the windows closed up and the house hushed our warm bed with its down comforter is all the more appealing. I've taken two naps already today and love how cozy and comforting it feels to be curled up with my family, Gretel cuddled up between Joe and me. Winter in the northeast can bring its share of headaches, with ice and snow everywhere and worry about the oil burner and just what it's up to this week. But this weekend provided just a taste of how wonderful the chillier months can also be. The leaves will start changing color very soon now and as they drop I will be counting my blessings that I have this life.

5 Comments:

At 9/25/2005 6:33 PM, Blogger celeste said...

The last sentence of this post would make great lyrics in a song.

Where I live, there might maybe one week in winter that I get to wear a pull-over sweater. And today, it's 99 degrees!

 
At 9/26/2005 12:10 AM, Blogger Lish said...

I wish we had falls like that here. Today we had record high temps in Texas.

 
At 9/26/2005 1:11 AM, Blogger War Eagle said...

Well in my new home we dont have seasons. It is always summer here. It was like 105 today.

 
At 9/26/2005 9:13 PM, Blogger celeste said...

Laura, send me a little prayer tomorrow, Tuesday, around 2:00, 2:30 central time...I'm getting my LASIK. :) I'm super excited, but I know I'll be nervous...I hope somehow I'm not that nervous when the time comes, though.

 
At 9/26/2005 10:43 PM, Anonymous MistressMary said...

Hi Laura, thanks for stopping by my blog today. I like fall, too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home