Monday, September 05, 2005

Fried Green Tomato Salad

When I went to New York last week we came back with a paper bag of tomatoes in different states of ripeness. Tonight I made a fried green tomato salad that used green, yellow and red tomatoes along with basil from my mother's garden. I started with a recipe from Epicurious but halved it to make a main dish for the two of us and switched out the bacon for pancetta and salad mix for the arugula. Fresh tomatoes made this dish delicious and I think this would be great to make if you had a lot of tomatoes in various states of ripeness. For vegetarians, I know there are bacon substitutes you may want to try here, though I cannot vouch for their baconey-ness or how they would be in the final product.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's a quick rundown of the recipe as halved and modified from Epicurious:

1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup mayonnaise (I used low fat and it was fine)
1.5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard

8 slices of bacon

9 1/4-inch-thick slices green tomatoes (about 3 tomatoes)
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
2 large eggs, beaten to blend
1/2 cup olive oil

4 1/4-inch-thick slices red tomatoes (about 1 tomato)
4 1/4-inch-thick slices yellow tomatoes (about 1 tomato)
3 cups bagged salad

Puree basil, 1/8 cup mayonnaise, lemon juice, and mustard in processor until smooth. Transfer to small bowl; mix in remaining 1/2 cup mayonnaise and season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

Cook bacon and put it on a cookie sheet or oven safe plate big enough to hold the bacon and cooked tomatoes. Warm the oven to 200 degrees with the sheet/plate inside.

Sprinkle all green tomato slices with salt and pepper. Place 1/4 cup flour in shallow bowl. Mix remaining 1/4 cup flour with cornmeal in another shallow bowl to blend. Working with 1 green tomato slice at a time, coat with flour, then egg, then flour-cornmeal mixture. Transfer to a plate. Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, fry green tomatoes until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side (each successive batch will take less time as the oil heats, though). Using slotted spoon, transfer to baking sheet/plate in the warm oven.

Sprinkle red and yellow tomatoes with salt and pepper. Alternate fried green tomato slices spread with basil mayonnaise, a bit of salad, half a bacon slice, red tomato, yellow tomato around the outside of the plate. Put all remaining lettuce in center of plate, top with a bit of basil mayonnaise, crumbled remaining bacon and the divided extra fried green tomato.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The textures and tastes of the components comes together so well, and I think this would make a wonderful sandwich if you wanted to assemble it that way. It has all of the essential BLT tastes but goes much further with the improved mayonnaise and fried green tomato tastes. Let me know if you try it!

7 Comments:

At 9/06/2005 12:03 AM, Blogger buffi said...

Mmmmmmm! That sounds so good! I will have to try it. Bacon and tomatoes together... Sounds like heaven!

Michele sent me. Now I need a snack!

 
At 9/06/2005 12:26 AM, Blogger utenzi said...

Ohhhh my. That does look good, Laura.

Yikes! That word test below looks like I should get a PhD if I pass. They're usually 4-6 letters and this one looks like it might be 10. *test anxiety coming on here*

 
At 9/06/2005 1:14 AM, Blogger FattyPants said...

That looks so yummy! And I have tons of tomatoes ready to go in my garden. I'll have to give it a try. Oh yeah, I followed you from michele's site of the day:)

 
At 9/06/2005 2:19 AM, Blogger Destiny Anne said...

that sound like something i would eat. and i don't even like salad. here from michele.

 
At 9/06/2005 9:17 PM, Blogger celeste said...

OMG, Laura. When I can come over for dinner? I'll bring oreos for dessert. :)

 
At 9/07/2005 1:31 AM, Blogger Mama M said...

That salad looks divine, and I don't even like fried tomatoes!

 
At 9/07/2005 10:45 PM, Blogger War Eagle said...

Totally yummy. I love fried green tomatos.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home