Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Pesto and Goat Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts

Tonight I made pesto and goat cheese stuffed chicken breasts, based on the recipe at Epicurious. I cut the recipe in half and my other modifications are found in the instructions below.

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/4 cup soft, fresh goat cheese
2 1/2 tablespoons pesto (I used Amore pesto from my grocery store)
2 tablespoons frozen chopped onion (again, from the grocery)

1 tablespoons olive oil
All purpose flour

Preheat oven to 350°F. Pound chicken breasts between sheets of waxed paper to thickness of 1/4 inch (make sure it's very thin -- mine was a bit thicker than I would have liked by the end). Combine goat cheese, pesto and shallot in small bowl; mix well. Spread boned side of chicken breast with scant 2 tablespoons cheese mixture. Starting at one long side of chicken breast, roll up tightly, jelly roll style. Repeat with remaining chicken and cheese mixture. (I actually rolled from the short end -- it just made more sense to keep the goat cheese mixture exposed to direct heat as little as possible. Perhaps if I'd pounded the breasts a little flatter this would not have been a problem. Also, I had to use toothpicks to hold the whole thing together. I recommend uncolored toothpicks, as the dye may come off on the chicken. Not that I would know this from personal experience or anything.).

Heat olive oil in heavy large oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken breasts liberally with salt and pepper. Dredge in flour and shake off excess. Fry chicken breast in olive oil until golden brown on all sides, turning occasionally, about 4 minutes (mine took a little longer, but I have a crazy stove). Place skillet with chicken in oven and bake until chicken is tender and cooked through, about 10 minutes (again, mine took longer, about 25 minutes. Thicker chicken, different rolling direction, etc.). When a meat thermometer registers 170, these are done.

The flavors here are wonderful and using a prepared pesto cuts a lot of time off the Epicurious version. If you make these, I think you'll enjoy this easy and quick to prepare recipe.

4 Comments:

At 9/28/2005 10:17 PM, Blogger sage said...

--visiting from Michelle's

Wow, that looks good! Invite me to dinner, please. I'll bring some applesauce.

 
At 9/28/2005 10:19 PM, Blogger sage said...

By the way, when I lived out west and had a steady supply of pine nuts (Pinion pines), I use to make my own pesto.

 
At 9/28/2005 11:25 PM, Blogger celeste said...

that looks so delicious....i'm hungry

 
At 9/29/2005 12:28 AM, Blogger War Eagle said...

Looks wonderful. Can u email me some? LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home