Sunday, September 04, 2005

Thinking Over

I've been thinking today about how certain smells can bring back a world of memories. Wood pencils in a drawer, the polyester scent of my favorite blue nightgown from childhood, the peonies from my grandmother's garden -- I catch a whiff of any of these and I am instantly transported back to a time in childhood summer when things seemed so pure and days were full to bursting with simple pleasures that were all that we really knew.

I try to fill my days with simple things now that bring me happiness: helping my daughter learn to eat and enjoy food, arranging flowers in a vase, making something delicious that my husband loves. The thing that I can barely realize now is that I am establishing a whole new set of smells that will bring back memories of this time that I will be able to enjoy in the future.

In the end, I don't believe that things that are complex and expensive make that big an impression on my memory. What sticks with me best are the easy times spent with loved ones and the little details of those times. Which makes me feel lucky, to be living in the moment and to know that I'll be able to carry elements of these moments with me for the rest of my life.

4 Comments:

At 9/04/2005 11:53 PM, Blogger zazzafooky said...

This is so true and said with a lot of heart. Nearly all of my greatest memories are of simple pleasure like playing with my daughter on the grass or endless chats with my husband... ah....so nice.

 
At 9/05/2005 2:11 AM, Blogger celeste said...

"The thing that I can barely realize now is that I am establishing a whole new set of smells that will bring back memories of this time that I will be able to enjoy in the future." --What an awesome way to look at life. You are so right.

 
At 9/05/2005 7:15 PM, Blogger panthergirl said...

I agree so totally. Smells are the MOST powerful memory-triggers for me. There's a plastic smell that takes me back to Christmas every time I encounter it. There's a vinyl tablecloth smell that puts me right in my grandmother's kitchen. And the smell of milk, very SLIGHTLY sour, reminds me of every new kitten I've ever held.

My sister once told me that the most important job a parent has is to make memories for children, and I have kept that in my mind forever. Thank you for reminding me to provide those memories as scents, as well.

Thank you for visiting today.

 
At 9/05/2005 7:21 PM, Blogger utenzi said...

you're definitely correct, Laura. We are so strongly affected emotionally by scents particularly by scent memory which is in itself affected by emotion. The brain is such an interesting Rube Goldberg device.

Michele sent me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home