Thursday, September 01, 2005

Traffic

I'm not sure if it's too self-referential to talk about getting traffic to your blog on your blog. It feels a little strange to me. But I have to mention how amazed I am by the flurry of visitors after being chosen as Michele's site of the day today. I write this blog for me first and foremost, but it is very nice to see that other people appreciate the writing and the ideas here. Thanks to everyone who came here via Michele Agnew's wonderful site.

The other traffic that's been on my mind is what's on the road this holiday weekend. We were supposed to drive down the east coast to South Carolina tonight, but instead we find ourselves staying home for the next few days. Stories about increasing gas prices started to trickle in over the past couple of days along with photos of tremendous lines at gas stations. Then we started to hear about gas stations all along Interstate 95 selling only 5-10 gallons of gas at a time and even that after an hour wait. We called AAA and were told that many people are not cancelling their travel plans at all, and so the prices and the waits were likely to get worse. It sounded bad enough if it was just going to be my husband and me going down, but with the baby in the car and 90+ degree temperatures most of the way down, this just seemed like a terrible idea. We're disappointed because this would be the first time my husband's side of the family would have met our daughter, but this just seemed too extreme to risk. We were worried enough about travelling so far with her anyway, and being stranded? Too horrible to think about. So -- we're home with no plans at all... which isn't really such a terrible thing at all right about now.

3 Comments:

At 9/02/2005 8:15 AM, Blogger celeste said...

Thanks for posting a link to Michele's site....I was beginning to get really curious about who Michele is since everyone was bringing her up in their comments. Hm...I started to wonder....is "Hi, I'm here from Michele's" really code for something else and I'm just not hip to this lingo? :) No, seriously, I quickly clicked on the link and love the unique profile pic. It's storming here this morning...thunder, lightning, dark, dark clouds. I'm off to work! :)

 
At 9/02/2005 5:35 PM, Anonymous janey said...

You do have a nice and I'm here from Michele's and congrats on being the site of the day.

 
At 9/05/2005 7:19 PM, Blogger utenzi said...

Probably a good idea not to be on the roads with the possibility of being stuck--even if it's only a slight chance, Laura. Babies are just too easily affected by temperature and fluid levels.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home