Sunday, October 16, 2005

Autumn

As it is for so many people, fall is my favorite season. In the northeast, autumn has been literally dampened this year by all of the rain we've had, but this weekend was just about perfect. We were finally able to experience the beautifully cool temperatures, the vivid colors of the leaves, the palpable change in the air that comes as the seasons shift. Joe took this picture of leaves flying off one of the trees in our backyard on Saturday -- I love it because it captures both the beauty and the elusiveness of these incredible days.

Fall is a time for baked apples and pumpkin pie, fallen leaves crunching underfoot and burning leaves scenting the air. It's a time for turning lamps on early as the darkness surrounds your house, making your home feel like a solitary point of coziness and warmth in the world. I'd been missing that so far this fall, as the rain became my the focal point. Now I can feel myself experiencing fall the way it should be -- wrapped around me, with all five senses, feeling the sun on my face even while bundling up for the winter to come.

1 Comments:

At 10/17/2005 5:12 PM, Blogger Ciera said...

oooo - I think a baed apple would taste wonderful right now!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home