Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Corn Pone

Joe is from the south and therefore has many food memories that I don't share. His childhood was filled with chicken and dumplings, grits, red eye gravy and sweet tea. Living in the north, it is very hard to find to find these foods prepared the same way they are in Georgia and South Carolina. I'm devoted and sweet and so I try to make them myself, rarely to the effect hoped for, but not without a certain amount of enthusiasm that Joe finds endearing. In fact, we can now laugh heartily at the grits that rolled out of the pan in ball form and bounced out of the bowl, or the biscuits that resembled nothing so much as brittle hockey pucks.

Lately he's been craving what his people called cornbread. I made a recipe for it with chili a couple months ago, and while it was good it was not what he had in mind. It was too thick, cooked in the oven, and a different consistency than what his mother has always made. Naturally, she has no recipe for what she makes -- she just does it by feel and by memory. And then last week he realized that what he has in mind might actually be closer to a cornpone or johnny cake. Armed with this new information, I found this recipe from Emeril for Corn Pone. It was closer to what he wanted. Tonight I added more milk to the recipe to make the consistency of the batter more like pancake batter -- and voila:
Joe got his cornbread and I got another dish on my menu of edible southern fare. No fires, no bouncing, no broken teeth -- it's a minor miracle that it only took three tries to get it this way.

3 Comments:

At 10/13/2005 4:21 AM, Blogger War Eagle said...

I love cornbread. The best kind is the type with whole corn kernels in the bread. Yummy!!! I was luckly and grew up in the maryland. I got to sample tastes from both the north and south.

 
At 10/13/2005 7:47 PM, Blogger celeste said...

hmm...cornbread....ain't nothin' wrong with that, especially with whole kernels in it. yum. sweet tea...that's all people order at restaurants down here.

 
At 10/13/2005 9:57 PM, Anonymous lu said...

A southern gal myself, I can tell you that the secret to perfect cornbread is to bake it in an iron skillet. I can't believe I never learned to do it myself, just gobbled my grandma's all up and never asked as it didn't occur to me that she wouldn't be around forever and forever. Sigh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home