Sunday, October 23, 2005

Driver In Progress

As you may have read before, I've never had a driver's license. At thirty years old, this puts me in the minority in this country -- and living in the suburbs it also puts me at quite a disadvantage. I've always been independent and determined, but until recently we lived in an urban setting so it was no big deal that I didn't know how to drive. Not so much anymore.

I tried learning how to drive a car when I was twenty. Things were going okay until I made a right turn that was first too shallow (and therefore sending me like a missile toward the line of cars waiting at the light) and then too sharp, sending me, the car, and my teacher right into a tremendous tree. There were minor injuries and the car was nearly totaled, but the greatest damage may have been to my nerves and my confidence. I haven't really attempted to get behind the wheel again in the intervening ten years.

Today, however, I went out with Joe and Gretel to practice with my new permit. I've taken lessons with a professional and now need to get some time behind the wheel on my own time before my test on November 18. If I can nail the parallel parking, I think I'll be fine -- today I managed to make turns without too much hesitation, drove through my first drive through, and even exceeded 50 mph on some stretches of road. Unfortunately, I still spend too long looking down at the spedometer, causing the car to cross the yellow line. Oh, and I also have a tendency to turn the wheel in whatever direction I'm looking, giving Joe several little heart attacks today. Other than that, I am on track and surely I will be able to exit 2005 with a license in hand, right? It would be a huge accomplishment. Lord help the other drivers out there, though -- Joe found this sign for me to put on the bumper of our car and I am not ashamed to use it.

2 Comments:

At 10/23/2005 11:42 PM, Blogger War Eagle said...

Its never to late to learn. My best friend didn't get her's until she was like 31.

 
At 10/24/2005 7:11 PM, Blogger celeste said...

I think I've mentioned this before...my mom didn't get her American driver's license until she was over 50. She hadn't driven in over 30 years. Once she got her license, she started driving my grandma around everywhere, giving her little heart attacks here and there. My grandma also had to ride with me in my dad's car when I was learning... :) my poor grandma. Congratulations on pursuing this license! You'll feel safer knowing that you can drive Gretel around if necessary and if Joe is not available.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home