Thursday, October 06, 2005

Happy Anniversary

Joe and I had our first date five years ago today. For a long time we had a fake story about how we met: in a coffee shop while I was on the way to a movie, we were both in line, got talking and exchanged numbers. It was a lie, and we were a little shy to explain how we actually did meet: through an online dating service. I received his first note on a Monday, we talked on the phone throughout the week, and had our first date on Friday. It was October 6, 2000. We had dinner at Giacomo's, walked through Christopher Columbus Park and talked for hours. It was an incredible first date in that we had so much to talk about, had so much in common and were fascinated by the things we didn't.

When I got home after this date it was close to midnight. It had been hard enough to tear myself away from this incredible man and I realized that I still wanted to talk to him. I'd been through all of the Rules advice, practicing what they preached about not actively pursuing people in which I was interested, waiting to draw them to me. But on this night, I threw it all out the window. I still wanted to talk to him, wanted to continue getting to know him. And so I picked up the phone and called. He was just coming through the door and picked up the phone. I made it clear that if he wanted to talk another time that was fine, but if he still wanted to talk I'd love it. And so we ended up talking for another four hours. This was a real turning point for me, realizing that I could act the way I really wanted to act and finding that there was someone else out there who would respond to that. I had to go on a trip out of town that Saturday, and we arranged our second date for Sunday when I returned. And essentially, on that second date, I moved in and we never looked back.

Today is our fourth wedding anniversary. We were engaged within two months of that second date and married on the anniversary of our first date. We've had five wonderful years together and Joe has always been the kind of man that I can call for anything I need, can count on for help and support in whatever life throws my way. We've changed careers, moved to a different state, bought a house, had a baby and have worked hard and had the luck to have a marriage that has changed and grown stronger than ever in that time. Happy anniversary, baby. Thank you for five amazing years.

3 Comments:

At 10/06/2005 11:03 PM, Blogger celeste said...

I feel like maybe I shouldn't even comment on this post. Like maybe it belongs to your husband only. :) That is incredibly sweet. Congratulations!

 
At 10/08/2005 1:49 AM, Blogger mommy d said...

Happy, happy anniversary!

 
At 10/13/2005 9:51 PM, Anonymous lu said...

What an incredibly romantic story. Thank you for sharing it. Congratulations!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home