I had to come up with something quick and easy for a bake sale this weekend. I modified the recipe for Lemon Bars from Allrecipes and they turned out to be a hit. If you prefer sweeter bars to the more lemony ones I like, you'll definitely want to cut the lemon juice in half (or more!). Here's the recipe:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 cup softened butter
- 6 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups white sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 3 drops yellow food coloring
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar for decoration
- Combine the flour, 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar, and butter. Pat dough into prepared pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until slightly golden. While the crust is baking, whisk together eggs, white sugar, flour, lemon juice and food coloring until frothy. Pour this lemon mixture over the hot crust.
- Return to the preheated oven for an additional 20 minutes, or until light golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Dust the top with confectioners' sugar. Cut into squares.