Sunday, January 15, 2006

Fresh Start

This is a sure sign that your Christmas tree has been around for a while. We got ours at the beginning of December and now these little green shoots are beginning to appear on some of the branches. I think this is a sign that it is resigned to its life in our living room and is adjusting to its new circumstanstances and all-water diet. While I admire the tenacity of our little tennenbaum, the time has come for it to return to nature via the compost pile in the backyard. I must admit that seeing this new life in our tree will make that bittersweet. I would have liked to see just what would have happened if we left it up another month or two.

On a semi-related note (new life, fresh starts, etc.), here is another happy birthday greeting to Joe. May the year ahead be wonderful and filled with beautiful and memorable moments. I love you.

On another semi-related note, this is the 100th entry for Milk and Honey. Happy cent-entry to this little space. And thank you to all of you who have commented here -- it's so encouraging to me.

4 Comments:

At 1/15/2006 9:23 PM, Blogger amanda said...

I was sad to take our tree down too...it was doing so well. Congrats on your 100th post!

Here via michele.

 
At 1/16/2006 12:09 PM, Blogger Mignon said...

That's an amazing photo, Laura. You all must be wonderful caretakers to end up with a tree producing new growth rather than piles of needles.

 
At 1/16/2006 12:28 PM, Blogger Plumkrazzee said...

Wow, that IS bittersweet...all things just seem to have a desire to keep on keeping on, don't they? Even trees! Michele sent me.

 
At 1/19/2006 7:37 PM, Blogger Carmi said...

What a cool turn of events. I'm not green thumb - lord knows I've tried, but I always end up killing the poor foliage - but is there any way to transplant the new growth before the tree hits the compost pile?

It's almost as if the tree is sending a message.

Life. Cool.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home