Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Keys

The key to my mother's apartment is nearly identical to the key to my house. The same shape, size and base, and it's only the placement on my key ring that keeps me from putting her key into my lock. There are certain things in my life that remind me of how similar my mother and I can be, even though I wish it wasn't so. As I've written before, I fight some of these similarities: procrastination, fear, disorganization, etc. There are other traits that I embrace a bit more: her favoring of oldies music, crafting gifts, and her devotion to babies. Every once in a while there is an expression on my face that will remind Joe of my mother or a phrase I will use that just makes him laugh at the similarity. Even though we are so different now in so many ways there are all of these little things that tie us together.

It makes me wonder how it will be with Gretel. She is already such a fierce, independent girl and I don't anticipate her growing to be a clinging type who will turn to me often for advice. But how much of me will imprint onto her? We spend so much of every day together and there are countless hours that we'll have together before she's off on her own. How much time does it take before someone is inextricably a part of you?

3 Comments:

At 1/18/2006 11:01 PM, Blogger celeste said...

I remind myself a lot of my mom too.
But what's funny is that David, my husband, reminds me of my mom in more ways than I remind myself of her. They were both born on the same day, just different years. They're both very giving. They have boundless energy. Back when we were first married and we used fight a lot more I used to say in frustration, "UGH!!! You're just like my mom!!!!!" :)

but, you know, they're both very cool and i've learned a lot from their giving and loving natures

 
At 1/19/2006 7:29 PM, Blogger Prego said...

You have a daughter named Gretel? My highest compliments and regards.

People say my brother and I have the exact same mannerisms, though his are more exaggerated. It's inescapable.

Here via Michele today.
p

 
At 1/19/2006 9:28 PM, Blogger Joe said...

It is amazing how we become our parents isn't it?

Here via Michele

 

Post a Comment

<< Home