Saturday, January 07, 2006

Scallops and Pears with Fettucine in a Garlic-Ginger Cream Sauce


Joe and I have a birthday weekend where you get to choose what to eat, what movies to watch, and generally what fun to have. Tonight he chose this scallops and pasta dish and it was delicious. The recipe comes from this site and is as follows:

Scallops and Pears with Fettucine in a Garlic-Ginger Cream Sauce

Yield: 4 Servings (or two if you're as hungry as we were)

1/2 lb Lemon-pepper pasta, cooked

6 Cloves garlic, sliced
4 tb Unsalted butter
1 tb Sesame oil
1 lb Sea scallops, halved
1/2 c Dry white wine
1 tb Lemon juice
1 Whole pear, cored & sliced
1/4 c Heavy cream
4 Sprigs lemon verbena
2 tb Fresh ginger juice
Pepper, to individual taste

--------------------GARNISH-------------------------

Lemon wedges
Lemon verbena sprigs

Saute garlic in butter and sesame oil over medium heat until it just starts to become translucent, about 2 minutes. Add scallop slices and saute, stirring or shaking pan frequently until scallops become white and opaque - about 2-3 minutes. Remove scallops and set aside.

Cook fettucine about 2 minutes. (I used spaghetti, and that took ten minutes. I'm not sure how fettucini is supposed to cook in two minutes).

Meanwhile, using the same pan as for scallops, turn heat to high and add wine and lemon juice. Cook until liquid reduces by about half. Stir in pear, cream, lemon verbena and ginger juice. Cook briefly to thicken sauce slightly and blend flavors. Stir in scallops and heat through. Remove lemon verbena and adjust seasonings.

Pour sauce over fettucine and toss gently, coating pasta evenly and keeping scallops and pears on top. Serve hot.

NOTES :
Garlic: I used the chopped ones from a jar and they were fantastic.
Ginger Root: As the recipe suggested, I peeled ginger root, chopped it in the food processor, and then juiced it with a garlic press.
Lemon Verbena: What? All I remember about LV is that Miss Beadle wore it in Little House on the Prarie. I skipped this.
Pasta: I used plain spaghetti -- the flavor of the sauce was plenty without flavored pasta.

2 Comments:

At 1/07/2006 11:01 PM, Blogger Laris said...

Yum! Sounds delish. I'm jealous of your birthday autonomy program, as my dad is currently trying to co-opt even my cake selection. (My birthday's next week.)

Michele sent me :-)

 
At 1/07/2006 11:05 PM, Blogger Shane said...

interesting combination of flavors.

thanks for visiting my site.

poi is definitely one of those things you eat for nutrition as opposed to flavor. But i suppose if you dabble it in your surrounding foods, it's okay. not a stand alone item for sure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home