Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Delayed Reaction to the SOTU

From Palinode's site comes the following.

From Harpers Weekly Review:

Bush also announced during his speech that America is "addicted to oil" and vowed to replace "more than 75 percent of our oil imports from the Middle East by 2025." Energy Secretary Samuel Bodman said that this promise was not meant to be taken literally. "This," he said, "was purely an example."
It makes me so angry and irritated to read things like this about Bush, to see the lies that he tells so clearly underlined and yet so ignored by the mainstream media. And the idea that he is criticizing Americans' addiction to oil is so disingenuous it leaves me stunned. To take a quote from the Washington Post, "in truth, few administrations have done more to feed America's oil addiction than this one -- and the same can be said for this Republican Congress." [Washington Post, 2/3/06]

In that State of the Union address Bush asked Congress to pass laws outlawing human/animal hybrids. Readers here had strong reactions to the idea of embryonic hybrids being used for stem cell research, reactions which surprised me quite a bit. If you're still concerned about the idea and don't see any merit to exploring the potential in hybrids for research, you'll love this site. I think this tongue in cheek shirt is wonderful.

With the curtain being pulled back on Bush's illegal domestic spying and his easy dismissal of the laws contained in the Constitution, my irritation and anger are coming to a boil. Why there is not more effective outrage in this country is simply beyond me. MoveOn.org has a fantastic ad about this that is definitely worth a look -- the campaign began Monday and calls for a special prosecutor to investigate the situation. It's a step in the right direction, anyway.

4 Comments:

At 2/08/2006 7:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude, I'd vote for Bush again. though it seems uncool to say that. but it's always seemed "uncool" to like the current president. And I also wouldn't admit it to my dad...who'd lecture me to death because he's a staunch democrat...it's one of the only times I will sit right in front of him and lie straight to his face...just to save myself some rhetoric torture. :)
~Celeste

 
At 2/09/2006 8:29 AM, Blogger Rude Cactus said...

2008 can't come fast enough. I've said it before but Clinton gets stomped for screwing around with an intern yet Bush leads the country into an unjustified war and spies on his own people and there are no repercussions. How is that fair?

 
At 2/09/2006 9:34 AM, Blogger Laura GF said...

Well, with Bush it goes way beyond being "uncool" to like the president. He's lying, he's cheating, he's breaking the law and he's destroying countless lives in the process. Really, I don't consider many people "evil," but he's one of the very few who I put in that category. It scares me how much power someone like him has! I think your dad and I are in the same boat :)

 
At 3/24/2017 5:17 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I read it and felt it great, Thank you
-------------
# Apple 5s ringtone
# New Thang Redfoo ringtone

 

Post a Comment

<< Home